Thursday, May 21

Online Portfolios and Resumes


(The days of paper are petering out! Photo by Nathan Krig --
Please do not use without proper attribution)

I began an online portfolio this week. In my job search I have been applying online frequently. When I learned about the possibilities of an online portfolio, I thought it would be a great way to enhance my online job applications. It is a quick and easy way for me to show off some of my work alongside my resume.

For my portfolio, I chose to use VisualCV. The program is fairly easy to use, however, I did not feel that the tutorial was as helpful as it could be. I like that there is an option for adding pictures to each document, a place for videos and a way to copy and paste your resume from word.

I worked hard on my resume and like its format, so VisualCV allows me to keep some of that in tact. I also like that my resume is front and center and has my picture above. I received a tip from one informational interview saying that a picture with your resume helps interviewers remember who you are. When interviewing many candidates: things get blurry.

Overall, I like the options and capabilities of VisualCV and am excited to see what it does for my online job search.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relevant and thoughtful comments are encouraged and appreciated. Please refrain from using profanity, personal attacks and obscenities, as this will constitute deletion of the comment.